Saturday, March 8, 2008

WARNING: this is going to be personal...if you don't want to learn about what's REALLY going on with me, don't read it :)

So my Aunt Jill has a word that she's decided is going to be her "theme" for the year. I think this is a really cool thing-first of all, because I don't really think very far in advance, and a year is a long time for me to give myself one word to focus on. Second of all, my life changes so much, how can I have ONE word that is a theme for my ENTIRE year?





Well, today I discovered that my "theme" or "word" for the year is going to be....



I've struggled with insecurity a LOT in my life so far, and even though I know that it's something I will continue to struggle with, it shouldn't consume me as much as it has been. The bottom line is...

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." (Psalm 139: 14)

I need to be...

-secure in myself and my abilities

-secure in my relationships with my friends-they love me, that's why they hang out with me. Just because they look at me a certain way, or call less frequently than I would like them to, it doesn't mean there is something wrong with me.

-secure in my relationships with my co-workers. Just because they don't always tell me I'm doing a good job, or they like what I'm doing...I need to remember that that's not why I'm here working.

-secure in my relationship with God

-secure in my appearance

-secure in my future

-secure in my finances

....and secure in everything else as well.

I am finding lately that because I'm not secure in those things, I am always consumed with improving myself, when I REALLY need to focus on OTHERS and how I can help them, or improving my performance at work, thinking of new ideas, etc, etc, etc. It's a little frustrating because it's been such an ongoing struggle, but I think that if I do concentrate on that as my "word" this year...it'll be a constant reminder to be secure in those things, and it may improve other areas of my life as well.

Also, by writing this, I give you COMPLETE permission to call me out on any insecure statements that I may make. I definitely need help with this stuff, I obviously can't do it alone.

The truth is...

-I am pretty cool, even if I'm not great at everything that I do...I do have some good qualities :)

-I have AMAZING friends

-God is awesome and is faithful to me every day

-I have more than enough money to take care of the things that I need

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's Bryon...From Ohio. We met once years ago. I just happened to come across you while looking up blogs on gardening methods...interesting. Anyway, glad to see you're doing well and trying to improve :-P

Anonymous said...

i'm so very happy that you chose a word to focus on! AND i'm happy that your read my blog!

feeling secure isn't an easy thing. i still struggle with it.

and i think everyone does to a certain extent.

anyways! just wanted you to know i was thinking about you!

xx
jill

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancee. I just found out you had a blog! I will definitely add it to my 'must reads' list. You are a wonderful woman and a good thinker. I'm so proud of you. I'm glad you're my neice. Good luck on the 'secure' for the year. (That was kind of dorky to say - but you know what I mean, I hope.) Did I mention I'm proud of you???!!!
Love,
Aunt Jennie

chris wilke said...

That's a good word to focus on. Definitely one I need to focus on in some areas.

I think you do think about others quite a bit. So that's something that should be on your "good qualities" list.

I look forward to talking with you again soon.